Sunday, October 7, 2007

Halo 3 - Is It Worth The Hype?


I must be crazy. Or maybe it’s just because I don’t own an XBOX 360. The thing is, I’m one of the few, young males that does not think Halo 3 is worth all the hype.

I mean, it’s hard to argue with this. Personally, a story line consisting of an alien species attacking, and very intent on destroying planet Earth due to religious reasons seems so 1999. Not to mention, when your main character’s name is “Master Chief”…. C’mon, you could’ve picked a more masculine, alpha male name than that.

I’m not a huge gamer, but I’ve played my fair share of video games (Not that I would like to admit that, but my excuse is that I was young…. and bored). I’ve always been partial towards computer games: using a mouse is key. So much easier to point and click when you shoot a weapon than use a complicated double joystick on a console game like the XBOX 360. When I did in fact play the Halo series, I wasn’t really impressed. It seems like any other First Person Shooter (FPS), just with a worse storyline. Personally, a series like Call of Duty is much better. It’s based off of WWII all the way to modern war fighting. Not only is the storyline much better, but your enemies are human too. Fighting hokey aliens gets boring quickly. I mean , here's the trailer.





Personally, I thought it was kind of boring.

The only really good thing I find about Halo 3 is the multiplayer function. There are a lot of people online, and its fun to play against friends. But realistically, there are so many games you can do that now (i.e. Call of Duty) anyways, so why the hype? Why the huge fan base?

Personally, I think it comes from the original Halo and XBOX system. The original XBOX didn’t really have any good games. Until Halo came out, there was nothing. Hence, why Microsoft loses money with the gaming console annually. Finally, when a half-decent game came out, everyone jumped on the bandwagon. People played this game non-stop.

It’s the same thing with Halo 3, except there is now a larger fan base. More people jumping on the bandwagon; I’ll admit, it’s kind of tempting to play JUST because the fact all my friends play it! But I don’t want to end up like some of the people that get just a little too excited when the new sequel comes out, you know what I mean?


No comments: