Sunday, November 18, 2007

Airport Taser Death


This is probably one of the most controversial and atrocious acts that has happened in Canada by our law enforcement. After reviewing the video of his death, I was shocked to see how they could have justified the actions they took to contain the polish immigrant.

The poor guy was sitting in the airport for 10 HOURS. I’m not sure under what basis he was being held for, but I’m pretty sure even in that length of time I could find an interpreter. And how hard is it to announce the guy’s name (it’s right on his passport….) over the intercom to see if he had any family or friends waiting for him? And I could understand his frustration and the methods he took to get peoples’ attention.

I’m not exactly sure what the standard procedure for the containment of a very frustrated and panicked immigrant by the RCMP is, but the first action they took was to the extreme. When they police arrived (and at this point, he was calm), he just raised his hands, and walked very slowly away from them. At this point, they felt it would be a good idea to taser him. Are you KIDDING me? All they had to do was ask him to put his hands behind his back, cuff him and bring him to the nearest precinct.

While being tasered, you could obviously tell he was in a great amount of pain. And one would assume a person being tortured by this pain would fight back. But would it really warrant him being tasered again, along with a police officer kneeling on his neck and head? NO.

I really hope the RCMP changes their policy for this kind of situation. I can understand airport security, but this was just inhumane and to the extreme. I feel very sorry for his mother, who had not seen her son for a very long time. And will not be able to ever again because of the procedures that the RCMP took. No compensation will bring her son back, but I hope she receives something.






No comments: